This is more or less Pulled Pork, but put into a taco. I have a feeling if you are reading this recipe, you have already eaten Carnitas before and you know that this will be delicious. If not, hold onto your butt because this will take you out of this world.
Ingredients (12 servings)
- 6 pound pork shoulder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 oranges, juiced. Keep peel!
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Anise
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1. Set Sous Vide to 175°F / 79.4°C
- 2. In small bowl add orange juice, garlic, salt, brown sugar, and anise. (I usually leave out the anise, personally)
- 3. Place pork in vacuum bag. Pour orange juice mixture into the bags with pork.
- 4. Add onions, bacon, bay leaves, orange peel and cinnamon sticks to bag.
- 5. Vacuum seal bag. You may need to place some paper towel towards the top of the bag to block any liquid from being sucked out. Place in water bath and cook for 20 hours.
- 6. Remove from the vacuum bag. Place a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat and add pork to pan while shredding. Sear over medium-high heat until pork is crispy. Add juices from bag to pork as necessary.
- 7. Serve in tacos, use in quesadilla, burrito bowls, or however you choose!