This is so easy! If you eat a lot of yogurt, you should give this a try.
You can use store bought yogurt to get the culture going, or if you have any probiotic pills (these are the ones I take and use for making yogurt. Make sure to use capsules and not compressed tablets)
Set your Sous Vide Ciculator to 110 F / 43.3 C
This will take 12 hours, with 15 minutes of prep time.
You’ll want to use mason jars, it will be easiest. Make sure they are sterile, clean, and dry on the inside.
- A small amount of yogurt with active cultures to use as a starter OR One probiotic pill.(You’ll want about a 10:1 ratio of milk to starter. It isn’t exact, and is really difficult to mess up).
- 1. Add milk to large saucepan. Take your milk and heat it up slowly to 180°F / 82.2°C. Make sure you’re stirring, scraping the bottom, constantly. You don’t want any of it to scorch. Heating it to this temperature helps to denature the protein strands which will help to thicken your yogurt. If you want to add a flavoring to your yogurt, such as vanilla bean, extracts or fruit, this is the time to do it. Just steep it in the warm milk.
- 2. Remove milk from heat and place it in an ice bath. Chill until milk is below 110°F / 43.3°C.
- 3. Take yogurt starter and add to milk. Whisk to combine. If you are using a pill, twist it to open and dump the contents in. Discard the capsule.
- 4. Pour into mason jars, and tighten lids until met with resistance. Do not over-tighten. Smaller mason jars will be better to eliminate most air in the jar.
- 5. Place in preheated water bath and cook for 12 hours.
Once the yogurt is finished you can use the mason jar attachments for your vacuum sealer to remove the air from the jars to make sure they keep for much longer than they would otherwise!