Okra is so underrated! Give this side dish a try. The Smoky Sous Vide Okra will complement a burger just as well as it would a steak. Just as tasty as fries, but much healthier!
Smoky Sous Vide Okra Ingredients
- 1/2lb okra – washed
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
Smoky Sous Vide Okra Directions
- Set your water bath to 80ºC (176ºF)
- Seal okra and olive oil in a vacuum-seal bag or a freezer safe zip bag sealed using the water displacement method.
- Fully submerge the okra in the water bath and sous vide for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and garlic salt. Set aside.
- Remove okra from water bath and pour entire contents into the large bowl. Give the okra a good toss so that everything is completely covered in the spice mix.
- Pour 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high. Once hot, quickly pan sear the okra for a light crunch. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Will it Vacuum Seal?
Well, Sort of. Usually when I answer this question I mean it in a store it and eat it later context. If you won’t eat it right away, you can leave the okra vacuum sealed after cooking it Sous Vide. Alternatively, you can blanche it and then vacuum seal to Sous Vide and finish later. Once you have cooked it on the cast iron skillet I do not suggest keeping it. You should eat it right away as it will be crispy and delicious then. If you vacuum seal after finishing it on the skillet the crispness will likely go away and it will not be as good.